I love tweaking and modding my devices, but sometimes the device hits back and things end up getting a bit messy, like this error that started popping up after I played around with a few settings and system apps on my rooted LG Optimus G (E970) – “Unfortunately Google Play Services Has Stopped“.
The error pops up randomly in most cases, but I have noticed it appears almost everytime an app is updated, installed or uninstalled from the device and it’s been driving me nuts until I finally decided to get rid of the error once and for all.
Here’s what DID NOT work FOR ME:
- Going to Settings >> Apps/Apps Manager >> All >> Google Play services >> Clear data, Clear cache and Force stop.
- Going to Settings >> Apps/Apps Manager >> All >> using the menu to Reset app preferences.
Here’s the fix that did work FOR ME (your device needs to be rooted btw):
- Using a file explorer with root capabilities (Solid Explorer in my case), navigate to the root of your device >> system >> app >> delete the GmsCore.apk file
- Now go back to the root of your device >> data >> app >> delete the com.google.android.gms-1.apk file as well
- With those two files deleted apps like Hangouts will not work. You can simply open Hangouts, a message will inform you that you need the Play Services app for it to work. Tap on the link provided in the pop up message (it will take you to the Play Store) and install the now missing app from there
- Restart your device and all should be well with the Android universe again.
If you were experiencing the error and my instructions worked for you, be sure to rate the post and share it with your friends so they too can benefit should they encounter the error as well.
You can also share your thoughts in the comment section below.